Umph and hurray, I finally finished finishing off all the round bits of the tabs at the bottom edge!
I decided to go for a bias tape around the edge, because it is the most historically accurate way to finish the bottom edge, especially on tabs and anyway this is the easiest way to make it look nice, if you use a coloured bias tape. I didn’t have any at home, so I just cut up the skirt of an old dress, that I had saved for its fabric; actually I had thought about using some pink piping/bias tape, but I ended up using the blue-dark blue checked fabric from the old dress.
It was so much work!
First I cut off all the layers along the pattern outline and pinned the bias tape along it, stitched along with some millimeters distance from the edge, folded it over and stitched it down by hand. Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures, but it’s just the normal way to apply a bias tape properly. The annoying part was, that the lining fabric is such a tightly woven one, while the fabric from the skirt was a really lose one, so that getting the needle through the one without disintegrating the other into single threads was quite a task… But I did it! 😀
Now it’s only the straight bits, that are left and I think they should be a lot more easy; I’m going to cut the strips straight and not diagonally for this, I think.
So here just another closeup of the finished tabs:
Oh, and I forgot to mention: I used a separate strip of bias tape for each tab; that made cutting the bias and pinning it on a lot more easier and is responsible for the strange gap that you see on the inside 😉